Religious Freedom: Real or Just an Ideal?
The ideal of religious freedom has been a part of the history of the United States from the time of the first settlers. Consider to what degree there has been religious freedom in America and to what extent there has been religious oppression.
To prepare for this Application:
- Review Chapter 6, focusing on pages 143â€“147.
- Review the Web site: The First Amendment Center and select some resources that will provide historical perspectives including pertinent court cases and commentary on current issues. Please find the link to the Web site under this week’s Learning Resources.
- Think about whether or not you believe that the country “delivers” on the promise of religious freedom.
- Reflect on why the ideal of religious freedom sometimes has been difficult to achieve.
To complete this Application Assignment, write a 1- to 2-page paper that addresses the following:
- Consider your thoughts about why and how religious freedom was guaranteed in the Bill of Rights, and why it has been difficult to achieve that ideal.
- Using specific examples, discuss whether the concept of “religious liberty” in America has been real or is just an ideal.
- Cite reasons why you think it is or is not important to maintain a separation between church and state.
- Relate why or why not the concept of religious freedom is relevant to today’s contemporary society.
Submit this assignment by Day 7 of this week. In order to receive full credit, all assignments are due on time. Should you encounter an unanticipated and uncontrollable life event that may prevent you from meeting an assignment deadline, contact the instructor immediately to request an extension. Your instructor’s contact information is in the Contact the Instructor area. For a full description of the late policy, please refer to the “Policies on Late Assignments” section of your Syllabus.
Please proceed to this week’s Content Review Quiz.
Assignment Turnitin – Week 3
To submit your completed Assignment for Turnitin review and grading, do the following:
View/Complete link. Then click the
Submit button next to the name of the Assignment. Once you have clicked on the link, scroll down and choose the appropriate paper item submission method from the drop down menu and fill in the remaining required fields. (Please use the naming convention “WK3Assgn+first initial+last name” as the Submission Title.)
Next, click on the
Browse button. Find the document you saved as “WK3Assgn+first initial+last name.doc” and click
Open. Then click on the
Upload button at the bottom of the page. You will then see a screen where you may review your submission. Once you have finished reviewing your submission, click on the
Submit button. Finally, you will see a screen that will indicate your paper was submitted successfully.
Thanks for installing the Bottom of every post plugin by Corey Salzano. Contact me if you need custom WordPress plugins or website design.